Monday, December 28, 2009

Truth, Not Fact

The following words are by the Voice speaking from behind the protagonist in CS Lewis’s Pilgrim’s Regress (1933):

“Child, if you will, it is mythology. It is but truth, not fact: an image, not the very real. But then it is My mythology....[T]his is My inventing, this is the veil under which I have chosen to appear even from the first until now. For this end I made your senses and for this end your imagination, that you might see My face and live.... [W]as there any age in any land when men did not know that corn and wine were the blood and body of a dying and yet living God?”

The “veil” is the myth of the dying and rising “corn-king,” -- a term Lewis used in his “Grand Miracle,” Miracles (1947). But the biblical story is also the form in which the Voice has “chosen to appear.”

(to be completed)


No comments: